The process for managing and investigating complaints against law enforcement personnel can be complex, sensitive and highly-charged. This four and one-half day, nationally-prominent program will provide participants with the knowledge and insights required to conduct and administer timely, objective and thorough internal affairs inquiries.
Tuition includes all instruction and handouts. Lodging and meals are excluded.
- $650 ILEA Member
- $750 Non-member
- Breaking the Cycle of Mediocrity
- Code of Silence
- Compelled Statements and Exculpatory Evidence
- Liability in Law Enforcement Operations
- Litigation Terms and Concepts
- Use of Force and Preliminary Force Investigations
- Workplace Searches
- First Amendment Issues
- The Professional Standards Concept
- Root Causes of Discipline Issues
- Initiating the Complaint Process
- Beginning the Investigation
- The Investigation Process
- Interviewing the Accused
- Due Process Rights
- Concepts of Police Discipline
- Truthfulness and Other Issues
- Ethics and the Internal Affairs Function
- Gregory Anderson, Chief, Oak Forest Police Department, IL
- Timothy J. Longo, Sr., Chief, Charlottesville Police Department, VA
Who Should Attend
- Internal affairs investigators and managers
- Police department legal staff
- Human resources personnel
- Law enforcement supervisors and executives
Monday through Thursday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Friday 8:30 am to 12:00 noon
Hyatt Place Plano welcomes our guests attending ILEA – Internal Affairs, Professional Standards and Ethics, at The Center for American and International Law. We have set aside a block of rooms with a group rate of $97 plus applicable fees/taxes for 11/5/2017 - 11/10/2017.
Please make your reservations by 10/21/2017. As long as the reservation is made by this date, and the group block has availability, you will receive the group rate. Any reservations not received on or before this cut-off date are subject to hotel availability at the best available prevailing rate.
Type in Arrival/Departure Dates
Enter Group/Corporate #: G-LA24
Call 888-HYATT-HP (888.492.8847) or 972.378.3997
Dates available: 11/5/2017 - 11/10/2017
Mention the group name: CAILAW / ILEA – Internal Affairs
- A valid credit card is required to make reservations
- Tax Exemption Certificates and Credit Card Authorization Forms may be faxed to the hotel directly at 972.608.4427 prior to your arrival.
Law enforcement personnel attending this course are eligible for thirty-two (32) hours of Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) credit.
Course Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Institute for Law Enforcement Administration (ILEA) may be forced to cancel a scheduled program. Whenever possible, the decision to cancel is made at least fourteen days prior to the start of the program, and registered participants are notified once that decision has been made. If the distance to the training site requires that you make airline and/or hotel reservations, please contact ILEA (+1.972.244.3430) to inquire about the status of any program before making travel arrangements. While paid registrations in cancelled courses will be refunded in full, ILEA will not be responsible for monetary loss due to cancellations or changes in airline or hotel reservations.
The Institute for Law Enforcement Administration provides professional education and technical support to the law enforcement community.
A registrant in an ILEA program must be a sworn officer; a civilian employee of a law enforcement department; or an employee of a municipal, county or state agency.
Anyone interested in attending an ILEA program who does not meet the above standard requirements will need to request advance approval. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.