This year’s Contemporary Issues and Ethics Conference will focus on “Building Community Trust, Officer Safety and Ethical Leadership.” The past year has been truly challenging for police-community relations across the United States. There have been many tragic events where the injury of citizens may have led to a climate of discontent that culminated in the assault on police officers in Louisiana and Texas. In an effort to make sense of all these dynamics, this conference will bring together experts from the fields of law enforcement, academia and the community to discuss strategies to help restore community confidence while simultaneously enhancing officer safety. We will accomplish this through a prism focusing on procedural justice, police officer emotional health, understanding the impact of implicit bias, and promoting ethical leadership.
Tuition includes all instruction and handouts. Lodging and meals are excluded.
- $0 ILEA Alumni Members
- $0 ILEA Ethics Center Organizational Member Rep
- $149 ILEA Member or ILEA Ethics Center Individual Member
- $199 Non-Member
Who Should Attend?
- Sworn and civilian public safety leaders
- Criminal justice researchers and academicians
- Public safety trainers and academy managers
Download the Brochure (pdf)For more details, download the online brochure.
Sessions and Faculty
- State of Police-Community Relations in America: Where We Were… Where We Are… And Where We Are Going
- Hon. Sam A. Lindsay, U.S. District Judge
- UNIDOS – Hispanic Community Outreach for Law Enforcement
- Steve C. Dye, Chief, Grand Prairie Police Dept., TX
- Leadership in Police Regionalization: Why Mission Matters
- Matthew D. Harris, PhD, University of Maryland University College
- Patrick J. Hughes, PhD, University of Baltimore
- Managing Your Message in Crisis
- Judy Pal, Former Chief of Staff, Baltimore Police Dept.
- Lessons Learned
- James D. Spiller, Chief, Dallas Area Rapid Transit Police Dept.
- Thedrick Andres, Lieutenant, Arlington Police Dept., TX
- Tarrick McGuire, Lieutenant, Arlington Police Dept., TX
- The Office of Justice Programs Diagnostic Center: Help When and How You Need It!
- Katharine Browning, PhD, Policy Advisor, OJP Diagnostic Center
- Insights and Tools to Develop Emotionally Balanced Officers
- Marcel Brunel, Lumina Learning Americas
- Moral Duty of Police Leadership: “To Protect and To Serve”
- Thomas E. Meloni, PhD, Western Illinois University
- Protecting the Emotional Health of our People – Emotional Body Armor
- Sean Riley, Safe Call Now
- Tactical Emergency Care: Preventing Deliberate Indifference
- John Slish, MD, Gainesville Police Dept., FL
- Daniel C. Stout, Lieutenant, Gainesville Police Dept., FL
Hyatt Place Plano welcomes our guests attending ILEA – Contemporary Issues and Ethics Conference, at The Center for American and International Law. We have set aside a block of rooms with a group rate of $97 plus applicable fees/taxes for 12/17/2017 - 12/19/2017.
Please make your reservations by 12/4/2017. As long as the reservation is made by this date, and the group block has availability, you will receive the group rate. Any reservations not received on or before this cut-off date are subject to hotel availability at the best available prevailing rate.
Type in Arrival/Departure Dates
Enter Group/Corporate #: G-LA27
Call 888-HYATT-HP (888.492.8847) or 972.378.3997
Dates available: 12/17/2017 - 12/19/2017
Mention the group name: CAILAW / ILEA – Contemporary Issues
- A valid credit card is required to make reservations
- Tax Exemption Certificates and Credit Card Authorization Forms may be faxed to the hotel directly at 972.608.4427 prior to your arrival.
Course Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Institute for Law Enforcement Administration (ILEA) may be forced to cancel a scheduled program. Whenever possible, the decision to cancel is made at least fourteen days prior to the start of the program, and registered participants are notified once that decision has been made. If the distance to the training site requires that you make airline and/or hotel reservations, please contact ILEA (+1.972.244.3430) to inquire about the status of any program before making travel arrangements. While paid registrations in cancelled courses will be refunded in full, ILEA will not be responsible for monetary loss due to cancellations or changes in airline or hotel reservations.