Participants will gain insight into the print and broadcast media - who they are and why they do things the way they do. In addition, class members will develop skills in building trust with outside information groups, preparing and presenting your message, crisis management and organizing the functions of a public information office. Finally, this course will help executives and spokespersons communicate more effectively with their many publics. This course will include an in-depth evaluation to provide managers with the skills to deal with changing news media in an electronic age.
Tuition includes all instruction and handouts. Lodging and meals are excluded.
- $425 ILEA Member
- $475 Non-member
- Media mistakes made by police agencies
- CALEA Community Relations
- PR during hostage-taking and terrorist incidents
- Issuing news releases; planning news conferences
- Pitching the media
- Marketing your agency
- Law enforcement ethics in a media-saturated society
- Closing air space during critical incidents
- News events checklists
- Managing an interview
At the completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Discuss the nature and purpose of Police Media Relations.
- Identify the concepts concerning media influence on policing.
- Apply planning strategies of police/media contact.
- Apply the principles of the 5 step interview.
- Apply the principles at work in managing media crises, press conferences and adversarial interviews.
- David Golden, Senior Intelligence Officer, U.S. Department of Homeland Security/TSA
- Jason Trahan, Reporter, Dallas Morning News
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for managers and executives as well as public information officers in law enforcement and emergency service agencies.
Wednesday through Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Hyatt Place Plano welcomes our guests attending ILEA – Police-Media Relations, at The Center for American and International Law. We have set aside a block of rooms with a group rate of $100 plus applicable fees/taxes for 10/31/2017 - 11/3/2017.
Please make your reservations by 10/16/2017. As long as the reservation is made by this date, and the group block has availability, you will receive the group rate. Any reservations not received on or before this cut-off date are subject to hotel availability at the best available prevailing rate.
Type in Arrival/Departure Dates
Enter Group/Corporate #: G-LA23
Call 888-HYATT-HP (888.492.8847) or 972.378.3997
Dates available: 10/31/2017 - 11/3/2017
Mention the group name: CAILAW / ILEA – Police-Media Relations
- A valid credit card is required to make reservations
- Tax Exemption Certificates and Credit Card Authorization Forms may be faxed to the hotel directly at 972.608.4427 prior to your arrival.
Law enforcement personnel attending this course are eligible for eight (21) hours of Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) credit.
Course Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Institute for Law Enforcement Administration (ILEA) may be forced to cancel a scheduled program. Whenever possible, the decision to cancel is made at least fourteen days prior to the start of the program, and registered participants are notified once that decision has been made. If the distance to the training site requires that you make airline and/or hotel reservations, please contact ILEA (+1.972.244.3430) to inquire about the status of any program before making travel arrangements. While paid registrations in cancelled courses will be refunded in full, ILEA will not be responsible for monetary loss due to cancellations or changes in airline or hotel reservations.
The Institute for Law Enforcement Administration provides professional education and technical support to the law enforcement community.
A registrant in an ILEA program must be a sworn officer; a civilian employee of a law enforcement department; or an employee of a municipal, county or state agency.
Anyone interested in attending an ILEA program who does not meet the above standard requirements will need to request advance approval. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.